It’s the final week of the regular season in the Football Championship Subdivision, and there’s nothing short of excitement and intrigue in Week 12. Many conferences are still up for grabs, but teams like Holy Cross, Sam Houston and UT-Martin have clinched playoff berths in the Patriot League, AQ7 and Ohio Valley Conference, respectively.
Last week’s results did a fantastic job of once again muddying up the at-large playoff picture. Teams like Southern Illinois, Chattanooga and South Dakota State — which lost on a Hail Mary to South Dakota — have put multiple scenarios in play because of Week 11 results.
While some teams have a strong at-large résumé, you never want to leave it up to chance and put your fate in the hands of the selection committee. Teams on the bubble desperately need to end the season with a win. Those on the back end of the Top 25 need to try to elevate a few spots heading into Selection Sunday.
Here’s how the FCS Power Poll looks heading into Week 12 …
1. Sam Houston (9-0): The Bearkats haven’t lost a game since late 2019 and riding a 20-game winning streak. How cool would it be for them to run the table and bid farewell to the entire subdivision undefeated in their last two seasons in the FCS?
2. Montana State (9-1): The Brawl of the Wild could decide the Big Sky Conference — or, at least, a share of it for the Bobcats since they don’t get to play Sacramento State.
3. James Madison (9-1): JMU’s only loss was a one-point decision to Villanova. Since then, they haven’t taken their foot off of the gas defensively.
4. Villanova (8-2): The Wildcats play Delaware in a big game this weekend. Can they avoid stubbing their toe against the Blue Hens?
5. North Dakota State (9-1): It may not look the…